Sorry for only ever blogging about my dog anymore. She’s been getting on my nerves lately. You know, because she just decides she’s NOT WALKING ANYMORE when I’m literally standing in the middle of a two-lane road trying to cross the street with her. I was moody and was all “Beesly, come on. Please. You do this everyday. Quit being such a baby. Ugh.” She has irritated me so much lately that I sort of daydream about being able to embarrass her the way one would daydream about embarrassing their bad kids. I’ll walk her in my bathrobe, I’ll do it! (Edit: She is no longer getting on my nerves, it’s been ≈ two weeks since I wrote that.)
Simon and I are headed to Florida at the end of the month and we’re going to look at houses. That makes me feel like a grown up, sorta. I hope we can find an older house, from the 60’s or 70’s. Simon has learned to Google map the route from a prospective house to the closest Publix and Target. He uses these as selling points when he tells me about a house. ”It has a big kitchen, and it’s only 8 miles from Target.” I complain about houses that are more than 30 minutes from Target or Publix. That does not make me feel like a grown up. Oh, and Simon always talks about how he’s going to build me a great kitchen, and an outdoor kitchen too. He is so nice.
His birthday was at the end of May and we had a long weekend to celebrate.
Thursday evening we went to FAI (Palace Hotel, Old Town) for snacks and drinks. I had won a voucher on the radio for a free evening out there, and it was really nice! Not just because it was free, either.
Friday we went to a brunch at the “XL Beach Club” (Habtoor Grand Hotel, Dubai Marina). I fully expected it to be full of pretentious douches, but it wasn’t bad. I mean, they definitely did have a bikini fashion show (that explained some of the women that were walking around in high heels and bikinis), and Facebook definitely was the unofficial theme of the event,
but it was still fun. It’s all about the company you keep, I suppose. :)
Anyone who has been to a Friday brunch will understand why we didn’t do much Saturday. We made nachos around 5pm and that was the accomplishment of the day.
Sunday was Simon’s actual birthday and we just went out for lunch and walked around Dubai mall. Later on, I picked him up some carrot cake from Lime Tree because I was too lazy to make him one myself (the poor thing).
Monday we went to Fujairah to partake in a scuba diving course that Simon won on the radio. Simon was certified before, and wants to do his refresher course so he can be certified again. He’d love for me to get certified too, and then we could scuba together.
I, however, have never been, nor have I ever had any interest in scuba. I thought it would feel claustrophobic and like the world was crushing me. I was right.
Dramatic or not, I was not a fan.
I may look like I was a fan, but ohhhh no.
And how ridiculous it is that the “I need to surface” hang signal is a thumbs-up? I mean, it’s natural to want to give a thumbs up to say that you are doing well… not to say “oh dear get me to the freaking surface before I have a panic attack!” What a dumb thing.
First we had to do a training course in the hotel pool. The same pool that the hotel guests were swimming in. So yeah, I definitely got to sneak some peeks at some Speedo-clad old men (score!).
(Simon and I giving the “I’m good” hand signal. The instructor makes that “ok” signal to you, and
your my instinct is to repsond with a thumbs-up. That’s WRONG though, scuba amateurs.)
Then we went out for an open water dive. It was about 12-15 feet deep, I think. I was nervous because I’ve had problems equalizing the pressure in my head, well, always. I was impressed that I was able to do it, but still didn’t like the pressure-y feeling of being down so deep and I felt a little panicked that I was far away from the surface.
We did see some water nature, which is apparently why people scuba. So that was nice.
I’m willing to try it again, but I think I’m ok just enjoying the water nature safely bobbing along the surface with a snorkel in my face.
Although it’s easy to look like you’re having so much fun when you’re wearing all that gear (sor-rrrry, “kit”),
the truth comes out eventually.
(I think by this point I wanted to make some gestures we didn’t learn in class. Because everyone was like “Ohhhhhhoooooooewwwwwww” when I called them ‘fins’ instead of ‘flippers’ and them ‘goggles’ instead of a ‘mask’. I’M SORRY.)
I guess that’s all the stuff I had to say for now.
Oh, except for unsolicited advice:
- I liked The Five Year Engagement a lot, although they censored a few parts here. That’s ok though, it’ll be like watching a brand new movie when it’s released on DVD!
- Simon bought me this Nook. I was entertaining the idea of getting a Kindle, then decided to do some research on what else was available. I guess Simon bought me a Kindle when I said I wanted a Kindle, had it shipped to my parents house, then bought me a Nook when I changed my mind. My mom, of course, ruined the surprise (sorry Mom) by asking me “Did Simon tell you he texted me today? Oh maybe I shouldn’t say what it was about do you have a Nook I think you should get a Kindle.” Anyway, I love it and would highly recommend it. Notice the subpar reviews on the website say things like “It’s still backordered” or “I’m trying to get one but it hasn’t shipped yet.” It annoys me when people leave 1 star reviews that say things like that. I report them! I think we all know what kind of old person I’m going to be.
- My favorite thing for lunch at work lately is a big hot bowl of garlic roasted vegetables with chickpeas and tofu and plenty of hummus.
- Here’s a picture I like of a roundabout in Satwa.
That is all I think. I feel caught up. :)
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- nat-fab likes this
- betweenarockandasandyplace likes this
- hithisisdanielle said: I can barely swim with my eyes open as I get claustrophobic. Scuba would be a NIGHTMARE.You rock for being a good sport though! Hope you stole the Zuckerberg, as I think he would look awesome in a Target-adjacent 60s ranch house :)
- hithisisdanielle likes this
- dubaiandi posted this